After working in the fast Moto GP world for over 23 years, the most asked question of other people is
"what is your favorite place", "where did you like to work most".
Well, to me that are two questions with different answers.
A favorite place to visit, might not be the best place to work and where you can work well, is
maybe not the most stunning place to be. And the factors to make something the best place to stay,
is for me.......close to the BEACH, nice hotel, nice people, nice culture, great food and drinks (wine),
nice climate etc.
For a great place to work, I would mention other things.....nice surroundings of the circuit, professional
workers at the circuit, climate, practical, not too far from hotel and airport etc. And of course good results!
Some circuits were really a "Yamaha Circuit".
But if I have to say what is my favorite place to visit for a GP, my top 3 of all these years, will be:
1) Laguna Seca
2) Phillip Island
3) Rio de Janeiro
Not because it was the best place to race or work, but because I loved it there. I loved the beach / ocean
connection, the culture, the nature, the people, the food.
ABOUT THE MONTEREY CONNECTION
I have so many good memories in Monterey area:
* whale watching with a small boat, quite close to the coast line
* watching the otters in the sea while having breakfast in the Clement Hotel Monterey
* the 4th of July on the beach of Monterey
* driving through Big Sur and visiting purple beach (Pfeiffer Beach)
* doing the 17 mile drive by car
* dinners on the terrace of Cafe Rustica in Carmel Valley
* arriving with small planes from San Francisco to Monterey
* arriving at Laguna Seca Circuit
* eating with my Japanese colleagues of Yamaha at Bubba Shrimp (a bit touristy, but we had so much fun)
* going for a clam chowder in the Fisherman's wharf
* going to Pebble Beach
* visiting the small lighthouse of Monterey
* private visits at the aquarium, which is not the typical ZOO place. There is a lot of research going on.
* driving around in Carmel by the sea, just to watch the lovely houses
* meeting super special new friends
* wine tasting at Bernardus Winery
* AND JUST BEING ON THE BEACH
I will go back
I do not have bucket lists and this would not be on my bucket list if I had one, as I have already been
there many times, but for sure I WILL GO BACK!
I will make that a goal in my life.
(Photo credit: Sun Sand Salt)
My name is Anneke AND I STARTED in January